Social Security

The IRS announces how to file a return while on Social Security

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is preparing for the upcoming tax season. The earlier you start preparing, the better your chances of receiving a tax refund promptly.

Additionally, starting early will help ensure that you don’t forget any important details that could delay the process. Providing accurate and complete information to the IRS is essential to avoid any counter-productive outcomes.

If you have recently retired and have begun receiving Social Security payments, you may be wondering about your tax obligations to the IRS. Your payments could be for retirement, disability, or as a survivor, but not SSI, as it is not taxable.


According to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), your Social Security benefits may be subject to taxation if the sum of 1/2 of your SSA payments plus all your earnings (including tax-exempt interest) exceeds the base amount. The base amount varies depending on your filing status (single, married, or separately).

The IRS and your tax return when you get Social Security benefits
The IRS and your tax return when you get Social Security benefits

Married couples filing jointly have a base amount of $32,000, according to the IRS. However, if you are married filing separately and lived with your spouse at any point during the tax year, the base amount is $0.

Single filers and heads of household have a base amount of $25,000. The same base amount applies to qualifying surviving spouses.

Married couples filing separately who lived apart for the entire year also have a base amount of $25,000. It’s important to remember to combine your income and your spouse’s income with your Social Security benefits, as advised by the IRS, even if your spouse doesn’t receive benefits.


Social Security beneficiaries who choose to file their tax returns online will find the process much easier. Electronic filing software will guide you in selecting the appropriate form.

Regardless of the form you choose, it’s advisable to gather all the necessary information. The IRS recommends keeping all income documents you receive each year.

In addition, you will need to provide information such as your spouse’s age, filing status, and your age. Furthermore, you will need to inform the IRS about any federal income tax withheld. It’s important to note that this online filing tool is only available for U.S. citizens or resident aliens for the entire tax year.

Married filers must also be U.S. citizens and resident aliens for the full year. If not, you should consult the information regarding International Taxpayers. Visit for more details.

Related Articles

Back to top button